Indian Men’s Hockey Team Shock Aussies

After going 4-0 down in the opening game, the Indian men’s hockey team made a splendid comeback to defeat World Champions Australia 2-1 in the second match of the ongoing 4-match test series between the two nations at the Perth hockey stadium on Wednesday. The series is now level at 1-1 after two matches played. Goals from strikers SV Sunil and Ramandeep Singh helped India get the win.


Indian captain Sardar Singh dribbles the ball past an Australian defender.

Goalless But Aggressive First Quarter:

Team India looked more focused compared to the game on Tuesday. They made an aggressive start and kept the Australian defence engaged on many occasions. The first quarter yielded no goals but India had a few chances as they sneaked into the scoring area quite often.

Second Quarter-Australia Draw First Blood:

The second quarter also saw many counterattacks being launched by both the teams but it was the Indian men’s hockey team that looked more dangerous. Just when one thought that both the teams would walk back to the dugout without a goal, Australian striker Matt Ghodes deflected an incoming shot into the goal and gave the Aussies an important 1-0 lead seconds before the half-time whistle.

Third Quarter- India Bounce Back In Style

Just three minutes into the third quarter and Australia was awarded a penalty corner. The Indian defenders charged and blocked the shot well and skipper Sardar Singh initiated a counter attack by weaving a through pass into the Australian D. Ramandeep Singh was quick enough to pick up the long ball and made no mistake in sending the ball past Australia’ goalkeeper and scoring the equaliser in the 33rd minute.

The goal saw an increase in the tempo of India’s passing. The very next minute after the goal, India attacked once again and forward SV Sunil made a superb run through three Australian defenders and single-handedly took the ball inside the circle and scored the winner for India.

Fourth Quarter- All About Preserving The Lead

The world champions were desperately in search of a goal and the Indian defenders denied them every time. India played defensive hockey for the last 15 minutes and maintained possession by playing the ball on either flanks. Australia looked out of shape as they even struggled to intercept. The final whistle blew and there were joyous faces in the Indian camp.

The next match will be played at the same venue on Saturday, November 8.

Match Summary: India 2 (Ramandeep Singh 33′, SV Sunil 34′) beat Australia 1 (Matt Ghodes 30′)

Watch the replay of the second match here:–7qmg-u4X

For Sports Updates