The Micromax Indian Aces continued their winning run as they outplayed the UAE Royals 28-20 to strengthen their position on the top spot in the league table. Captain Fabrice Santoro, Gael Monfils, Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna pulled out clinical wins to register another victory for the Aces. Here’s a press release on the same:
Unbeaten Micromax Indian Aces win a thrilling encounter against UAE Royals to top the Coca-Cola IPTL Table
Manila, 30th November 2014: The two unbeaten teams met in a match that would see one team triumph at the top of the Coca Cola IPTL presented by Qatar Airways standings after the Manila leg, and it was the Micromax Indian Aces who held strong to become the early frontrunner of the tournament that introduced the world to an explosive and exciting new brand of tennis.
- Coach John Laffnie de Jager won the coin toss and elected to receive.
- The battle of the in-form women’s singles players was won by Kristina Mladenovic, although Ana Ivanovic almost made a sensational comeback down 1-5.
- Experienced mixed doubles pair SaniaMirza and Rohan Bopanna notched a second set win over Mladenovic and NenadZimonjic, and this theme continued with Bopanna partnering the crowd favorite Gael Monfils to victory over Zimonjic and Marin Cilic.
- An injury pulled Cilic out from early in the set against Monfils, but MalekJaziri was a more than capable substitute. However, the creative Frenchman pulled out the win.
- The past champions’ singles was the main event worth waiting for, with big serves and entertaining shot-making from Goran Ivanisevic and Fabrice Santoro, but it was the man nicknamed The Magician who pulled the win out of a hat for the Micromax Indian Aces.
What the Players Said:
- Gael Monfils was enthusiastic about the kind of tennis being played in the tournament. “I love this format. This suits me well. I love the team atmosphere. We have fun out there. Actually we’re good friends – Ana, Sania – we grew up together. It’s a good competition because we have fun!”
- Monfilsalso commented on the use of a coach’s substitution, “I was surprised with the substitution [of Cilic.] Malek is tough… but I think I was in great shape. I’m happy to win for my team. After three wins, I feel great, I feel strong.”
- Rohan Bopanna added, “We’re having a lot of fun and keeping each other motivated.”
- Player coach Fabrice Santoro had a blast during his time in Manila. “I will remember the hospitality and how many people love tennis here and are happy to see the best champions in the world and if you ask the crowd they’ll want to have this back again next year.”
|MUSAFIR.COM UAE ROYALS||20||28||MICROMAX INDIAN ACES|
|WOMEN’S SINGLES||Kristina Mladenovic||6||4||Ana Ivanovic|
|MIXED DOUBLES||Kristina Mladenovic/NenadZimonjic||3||6||SaniaMirza/Rohan Bopanna|
|MEN’S DOUBLES||Marin Cilic/NenadZimonjic||4||6||Rohan Bopanna/Gael Monfils|
|MEN’S SINGLES||Marin Cilic (sub. MalekJaziri)||3||6||Gael Monfils|
|PAST CHAMPIONS’ SINGLES||Goran Ivanisevic||4||6||Fabrice Santoro|