The Singapore leg of the Coca-Cola IPTL came to an end today with Manila Mavericks defeating table toppers Micromax Indian Aces 25-20, in an encounter that saw the lead change hands three times in the first three sets.
- An unbeaten Mark Phillippoussis continued his winning streak with another convincing opening match as he beat Cedric Pioline 6-4 in the legends match.
- World No. 5 Ana Ivanovic continued her run of good form, playing well as her teammates cheered her on, defeating Kirsten Flipkens 6-2 in a very convincing game.
- Rohan Bopanna and Sania Mirza were defeated for the first time in the league as they went down 6-2 to the Mavericks’ Daniel Nestor and Kirsten Flipkens.
- Treat Huey and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga showed that they are a force to be reckoned with, reigniting the form they showed in Manila, overcoming Bopanna and Monfils 6-2 in an entertaining match.
- The final set saw the battle of the Frenchmen, as Monfils showed true athleticism to outplay Tsonga 6-5, taking the team total to 20 and earning them 2 points.
What the Players said:
“I served three double faults in the first game, it’s tough. I found myself starting on the back foot. It’s Cedric’s first time here so it was tough for him to get his timing, I’m just happy to get a good start for the team.”
“It’s really good because first of all we don’t really get many sparring matches against the girls in the off-season, and also to have a little fun and enjoy the team atmosphere, because time during off-season is very hard work and time on your own. To spend a little time with the team and make some funny jokes is nice.”
|MICROMAX INDIAN ACES||MANILA MAVERICKS|
|MIXED DOUBLES||BOPANNA / MIRZA||2||6||NESTOR / FLIPKENS|
|MEN’S DOUBLES||BOPANNA / MONFILS||2||6||HUEY / TSONGA|
|TOTAL SCORE||MICROMAX INDIAN ACES||20||25||MANILA MAVERICKS|
Images Courtesy: Getty Images